Places to Get Insurance for Freelancers

by | Jan 21, 2019 | Freelancing, Service Business, Small Business

January, 2019
When you start a business one of the most boring-yet-essential things is setting up insurance. You have to plan for the unexpected.
Sure insurance is a boring topic. But it’s a necessary boring topic. Freelancers, solopreneurs and small business owners have nobody to rely on but themselves. Some governments offer optional safety nets, but many do not. No unemployment benefits, no paid leave.Thankfully that are a few services that are providing options. Make sure you get:
  • Life insurance: If you have a family it’s critical, particularly if they are dependent on your income.
  • Critical Illness: Nobody wants to get sick, but we all will face health challenges at some point. Critical illness insurance is designed to get you through the rough times.
  • Disability: I you don’t work, you won’t get paid. The difficult part is that many of us will suffer from disabilities that prevent us from working full-time, if at all.
  • Indemnity Insurance:¬†This insurance protects you from lawsuits by clients for omissions or errors. It’s important for writers, consultants, and creative contractors.
  • Liability:¬†Liability insurance generally deals with your place of work, or products that you sell. If you have software that is hacked, or people are injured in your office, liability insurance can help you and them.
 What you need depends a lot on where you live – health insurance may be more important in the USA than in Sweden. That said, several services have popped up that can help freelancers and small shops get the insurance they need. 
Freelancers UnionThe Freelancers Union provides a number of services geared towards the needs of freelancers, from co-working spaces to insurance to retirement planning.Insurance offered by the Freelancers Union includes:
  • Health insurance
  • Dental Insurance
  • Term Life
  • Disability
  • Liability
DinghyDinghy is a UK startup that aims to solve the insurance gap for freelancers. It also offers services to chase down clients for unpaid invoices.They offer:
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Public Liability
  • Cyber Liability
  • Business Equipment


Trupo is an offshoot of the Freelancers Union providing disability insurance to freelancers. This is a big one – you never know what could happen, and it’s good to know you have something in place if you find you can’t work.

They cover:

  • Injuries
  • Critical Illness
  • Mental Health
  • Hospital Stays


With JackAlso out of the UK is With Jack, another service aimed at filling safety gaps in the freelancer life. Their main thing is professional indemnity, dealing with everything from copyright infringement to refusal to pay.They offer:
  • Professional Indemnity
  • Public Liability
  • Contents Insurance

Zig is in Open Beta

Join great creative company and help us help you at the same time.

[et_bloom_inline optin_id="optin_1"]


Project collaboration for creative production.

Made with care in Vancouver, Canada.

Share This